The Institutional Symposium for Research, Scholarship and Creativity provides undergraduate, graduate students, and faculty an opportunity to share their research, creative endeavors and professional learning experiences with the University and greater community.
The event facilitates the promotion of scholastic achievements of inquiring minds, for a lifetime pursuit of knowledge enabled by University-wide collaboration and scholarship.
We will feature the following events:
- Institutional Award Ceremony
- 3D Printing Exhibition
- Poster Presentations
- Design Challenges
- TED Style Presentations
See our flyer for more information.
Submit your Proposal
Please use the application form link to submit your information to present at the Madonna University Research Symposium. We encourage various types of creative and scholastic endeavours. You may present your work as a research poster, demonstration poster, interactive display, or exhibition display. Only student research posters are eligible for prizes. Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for undergraduate and graduate divisions (each). 1st place = $100, 2nd place = $75, 3rd place = $50. (Group projects will share the prize.)
If you are submitting a research poster, please ensure that you have the following information on hand before you complete the application:
- Signed Faculty Approval form. Please download the template, and ask your professor/ research instructor to sign.
- If your work involved human subjects, please upload your IRB approval. If you are in an umbrella research course, your Professor will provide you with the approval letter.
- You must also upload your Research Integrity Training certificates. Please combine the three certificates into one file.
Madonna Symposium of Research Scholarship hosts an interactive posters presentation session to allow students and faculty to showcase their research and ideas. Posters are widely used in the academic and scientific community, and most conferences include poster presentations in their program. The main purpose of the research poster is to concisely and succinctly summarize information or research to generate discussion.
A poster is typically a mixture of text mixed with tables, graphs, pictures, and other presentation formats. At Madonna, we expect students to stand by the poster display during the presentation period to answer questions, and interact with the audience. Research posters will be judged by a multidisciplinary panel of experts, and prizes will be awarded to both undergraduate and graduate winners. The FAQ guide below provides a variety of important resources for designing an effective and dynamic poster.
Suggested Research Symposium poster template
This template is designed to make a 36x48 poster. When finished, you can export it as a PDF (File>Export>Choose PDF in drop down menu) to send for printing.
We have made arrangements with Metro Detroit Printing to provide poster printing services. If you are interested, please follow instructions below:
- Email email@example.com and include Madonna University Student Poster in the subject line.
- Include poster file and name of student in the e-mail.
- Posters will be available for pick up at Metro Detroit Printing in Livonia. The address is 12892 Farmington Rd, Livonia, 48150.
- Posters will be $35 and due at time of pick up - cash or credit accepted.
- Posters should be professional in appearance but do not have to be professionally printed.
- They should be on foam core board for stability. They will sit on easels with no other support.
- Maximum 36" high by 48" wide. If you choose larger due to another presentation, you are responsible for it being displayed properly on the easel.
- Easels will be provided. You must bring the foam core board and binder clips or push pins.
There are no hard fast rules, but there are some important, effective design guidelines that should be adhered to when designing an academic poster.
It is important to make the color graphics and fonts appealing and visible to the audience. Please review the following important tips.
You can use any design software you are comfortable with, however, we recommend using Microsoft PowerPoint. Templates are available at the following link.
If you use images from the web, make sure you are not breaking copyright law. Request permission from the images owner or make sure you use images that are licensed as Creative Commons. Some links for Creative Commons & Public Domain Images are below:
Flickr Creative Commons: Image owners offer their work under a Creative Commons license
Google Advanced Image Search: Limit results to creative commons by selecting "labeled for reuse" under usage rights.
Wikimedia Commons: Repository of public domain and freely-licensed educational media content, including images, sounds and videos.
The most economical printing option is online, it will cost between $40 and $55. But be aware that the time to print typically does not include your shipping. Make sure you allocate enough time to receive.
If you choose to print it locally, it will cost more, see examples below. Local Printing Facilities in Livonia for Posters: 36” x 48”
FedEx Office Print and Ship Center
34850 Plymouth Rd, Livonia
$83.00 (student discount, must show ID)
The UPS Store
37637 Five Mile Rd
5% AAA discount available
33599 W. Seven Mile (just West of Farmington Rd)
It is really important to convey the information in a manner that is interesting, holds the attention of your audience without boring them, and highlights the pertinent facts using the visual components of the poster. This link will explain the Do’s and Don’ts of poster presentations.