Fun Facts about the Madonna Writing Assessment
1. Madonna undergraduates—whether first-time students or transfer students—are required to take the writing assessment. The only exceptions are students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree and those who scored a 7 or higher on the writing portion of their ACT.
2. The graduate writing assessment is required for students in all graduate Nursing programs, Master of Business Administration program, graduate Pastoral Ministry program, and the MA Liberal Studies and Leadership (MALSL) program.
3. Students who started their graduate Nursing program before winter semester 2013 are exempt from the writing assessment requirement. So are students in the other aforementioned graduate programs if they started before spring/summer 2013.
4. If a student has taken the writing assessment only once, and is dissatisfied with their score, they may retake it one more time. We will honor the higher score.
5. Students are expected to complete the writing assessment before the fourth week of their first semester at Madonna University.
6. Students are expected to complete their composition requirements within their first three semesters at Madonna University.
7. We have an online writing assessment option for students who cannot make it into campus.
8. No matter what score a student earns on their writing assessment, they will not need to repeat a course that has already been taken. Instead, they will take one, two, or three credit hours of WRT 1000: Writing Workshop (for students with no composition transfer credits), or WRT 1150: Writing Review (for students with composition transfer credits). The writing professors who score the writing assessments will determine the number of credits the student will need for WRT 1000 or 1150.
9. If a student waits to take the writing assessment until they're ready to graduate and says they didn’t know about the writing assessment requirement they will still have to take the writing assessment. If they get a low score, they may be required to take WRT 1150—even if that means going to Madonna for an additional semester.
10. No student will get an exemption for the writing assessment based on papers written in the past.
How to sign up for the Writing Assessment
The class schedule booklet for each semester contains a list of group writing assessment sessions. To sign up for one of these sessions, call the Registrar’s Office at 734-432-5400. If you can’t make it to any of these sessions or if you need special accommodations, you may write the assessment essay in the MU Writing Center, Room 1403, Academic Building. Call 734-432-5304 for information.
Online Writing Assessment
Below are instructions for students taking the writing assessment online via Blackboard.
Log in to Blackboard.
• Visit www.madonna.edu
• From the Quick Links menu, select Blackboard
• Click User Login
• Enter your student number as your username
• Enter your student PIN as your default password
If you have difficulty logging in, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your full name and student ID along with the fact you are trying to login to access the Writing Assessment Online.
Locate the area in Blackboard with the writing assessment.
Self enrollment: If you do not see the writing assessment title on your list of courses in Blackboard, please follow the following steps to complete the self enrollment process.
• Log in to Blackboard
• Click the Courses tab
• Search for the keyword "assessment"
• Find the course: Madonna_University_Writing_Assessment_Online / MU Writing Assessment - Online
• Click the Enroll, Submit and OK buttons to complete the enrollment process
Click the Writing Assessment button in the upper left.
• Read the general information
• Complete and return the cover sheet with your personal information
• Access and complete the writing assessment within the one-hour time limit
The cover sheet and writing assessment will be submitted by you to the writing center via Blackboard.
If you experience technical difficulties while completing the writing assessment, please send an email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Results from the writing assessment
Upon submitting your writing sample, the Writing Center staff will receive your work. A notification with your writing assessment score will be sent to your Madonna University email within two weeks after your work is submitted.
Writing Assessment FAQs
Writing Assessment Handout