Students can Skype with a tutor any time the Writing Center is open as long as they have:
- a camera (“Web cam”) on their computer
- the Skype program installed (download Skype free), and
- a free Skype account created.
To set up an appointment with the Writing Center via Skype:
- Call the Writing Center at 734-432-5304 to set up a 30-minute appointment.
- We’ll ask you for your Skype Name and Madonna ID number in advance.
- Email your draft to email@example.com at least one hour before the appointment.
- Open Skype program.
- Add MadonnaWritingCenter to your contact list.
- Call MadonnaWritingCenter via Skype to connect.
- You and your tutor should be able to see each other via Skype at the appointed time. If you don’t, check the camera icon at the bottom of the window. If there’s a red diagonal bar across it, click the camera icon to activate the camera view.
- If you want to talk to the tutor instead of typing back and forth, make sure there’s no diagonal red bar across the microphone icon (also at the bottom). To control the volume, look for the sound icon at the top, right of the window.
- If you prefer to type back and forth to the tutor:
- Click the microphone icon, which will put the diagonal red bar back.
- Click the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the window.
- Select Instant Messaging from the drop-down menu.
- To send a file, you need to be in “instant messaging” mode. Click the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the window and select Share Files from the drop-down menu. You should be able to see both the text and the tutor’s image.
- At the end of a tutoring session, click the red phone icon to end the Skype call.