Why Study Paralegal Studies at Madonna University?
- The program offers Associate's and Bachelor's degrees and a Post Baccalaureate certificate.
- The Post Baccalaureate Certificate can be completed in one year of full-time study.
- Graduates have jobs! Upon graduation 95% of graduates are typically employed, with the majority of graduates employed full-time as legal assistants or paralegals with the top law firms, corporations, and courts in the Metro area.
- The program has been approved by the American Bar Association since 1984 and enjoys a strong reputation in the Metro area legal community. Attorneys refer their staff and family to the Madonna Paralegal Program.
- The program offers flexible scheduling, with only 10 c.r. required to be taken on campus.
- The faculty includes practicing paralegals and attorneys with experience in the legal specialties which they teach.
- For a more detailed description of the program, please click on this link to the Program Director’s interview with the Paralegal Voice: www.madonna.edu/paralegal-voice
Students and graduates of the program will join over 2,000 paralegal alumni who have contributed to making the Madonna University Paralegal program the best in metropolitan Detroit. Potential employers often refer students to the program so they can be a “Madonna Paralegal." The job opportunities for paralegals are outstanding with salaries starting at approximately $38,000-$45,000 and within five years ranging from $55,000 to $85,000. After 10 years, paralegals can make over $100,000 annually. They are employed in full-time jobs with benefits in the top law firms, corporations and courts. The challenging program is an excellent undergraduate pre-law major with legal research and writing courses that prepare students very well for the first year of law school.
Employers of Alumni
|Estate Planning||Madonna University||Ford Motor Company-OGC|
|Family Law||MSU College of Law||Ford Motor Credit|
|Probate Administration||University of Detroit Law||Wayne County Prosecutor|
|Real Estate||MSU Graduate School||Pepper Hamilton, LLP|
|Banking||CMU Graduate School||Sommers Schwartz|
|Insurance||Ava Maria Law School||Honigman Law Firm|
|Risk Management||University of Toledo Law||Miller Canfield|
|Products Liability||Wayne State University Law||The Kitch Law Firm|
|Intellectual Property||Thomas Cooley Law School||General Motors Legal Department|
|Corporate Law||U.S. Attorney's Office|
|Government||U.S. Department of Justice|
|Elder Law||Federal Court-Eastern District of MI|
|Litigation||Oakland County Circuit Court|
Heather Cosme, Judicial Assistant to the Hon. Michael J. Riordan, Michigan Court of Appeals
My position reports directly to the judge. My primary responsibilities include a variety of secretarial and administrative activities to assist in the operation of a judge's chambers in a confidential and professional manner including: scheduling, processing and coordinating votes for motion docket, ensuring case files are complete, proofing opinions, preparing files for cases and motion dockets, and coordinating case call dates, court meetings and personal appointments for the judge. I also serve as initial contact in judge's chambers, answering inquires or directing callers to appropriate staff and other assigned tasks involved with daily operations.
Additionally, I assist the judge in preparing opinions by researching various legal issues and checking the lower court records to verify the facts.
Madonna's Paralegal Program faculty and advisors take an active interest in making sure their students succeed. I was nervous about making a career change, but the support of the advisors made the challenge a success. Madonna was the perfect choice for me. It was close to home and had web based and evening courses that allowed me to earn my degree while working full time while raising a family. The intimate class size and individual attention is second to none. The challenging legal research and writing courses prepared me for my duties with the Michigan Court of Appeals. The variety of courses offered was also beneficial since we handle criminal, civil, and termination of parental right cases at the court. I began employment with knowledge of Westlaw and Lexis as well as the ability to use the law library we have on site. I was able to assist the judge and law clerk with research assignments with little direction upon gaining employment. Judge Riordan told me that he was interested in a Madonna graduate because he has had great experiences with them in the past. I do not believe I would have my career today without the knowledge and experience I gained at Madonna. The Paralegal Program has a great reputation within the legal community and I am proud to be a Madonna alumni.